Thursday, September 30, 2010

Geographical Map

My intent for this geographical map was to examine the interstate highways that run through New England. I wanted to do this because I am frequently traveling on these roads. I go to school in Rhode Island, but I return home to New Hampshire to work on the weekends. I am also regularly visiting friends and family throughout Massachusetts, Burlington Vermont, and northern Maine (Beddington, Castine). I also ski throughout New England every winter. I have become proficient at navigating the highways in these states over the years, but I wanted to have an accurate visual representation so I could conceptualize my trips better. I also included major ports I would visit if sailing from New Hampshire to parts of the Downeast region (Penobscot Bay, Bar Harbor, Rockland).
The process of doing this geological map was harder that I had anticipated. By the time I had finished drawing out the states in pencil I was wishing I had done an affinity map. I was however very happy with the outcome and impressed by what I learned about the proportions of New England. I am always eager for a drive to Vermont or Maine but never to travel a much shorter distance from Rhode Island to coastal New Hampshire. It is interesting how the traffic during a 3 hour drive can make a traffic free 6 hour drive so much more bearable.

There is a compass rose orientated in the top left corner and a map Legend in the bottom right corner with an approximately accurate scale. Deep and Shallow water is indicated by lighter and darker shades of blue. Interstate highways are shown in red, developed land and thick forest are denoted by corresponding greens, and grey represents New England's neighboring territories. State Capitals are also labeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment